Started in 1996 by the American Academy of Poets, the purpose of National Poetry Month . . .
“is to widen the attention of individuals and the media—to the art of poetry, to living poets, to our complex poetic heritage, and to poetry books and journals of wide aesthetic range and concern. We hope to increase the visibility and availability of poetry in popular culture while acknowledging and celebrating poetry’s ability to sustain itself in the many places where it is practiced and appreciated.”
Some of their goals include:
- Highlight the extraordinary legacy and ongoing achievement of American poets.
- Introduce more Americans to the pleasures of reading poetry.
- Bring poets and poetry to the public in immediate and innovative ways.
- Make poetry a more important part of the school curriculum.
- Increase the attention paid to poetry by national and local media.
- Encourage increased publication, distribution, and sales of poetry books.
- Increase public and private philanthropic support for poets and poetry.
Posted by Tom R.